Sunday, January 2, 2022

LOTS of Snow!

Saddleback - 12/29/21

Over the past week we received 10.65" of precipitation, and ended up with three feet of snow on the ground! Up in Sierra City they got five to six feet of snow! The Lakes Basin must be buried! The power went out, the roads closed, and the temperatures dropped.  It was quite a mess!  We haven't seen a snowfall like this in years and years!

Unfortunately our power is STILL out and it doesn't look like it will be back on anytime soon.  Since we are using a small generator to provide power to our house, my computer time has become quite limited.  So, I can't post a new blog this week.  However, I have been out walking several times a day, and have seen a lot of wildlife!  Check back next week to see what I observed!  Hopefully the power will be back on by then!  Fingers crossed!

My neighborhood - January 2017

Damp Earth Art

With the 10.65" of precipitation that we received this week, our water year total (since Oct. 1, 2021) is approximately 40"! Yahoo!  So we are more than half way to achieving our average rainfall total of 60+"! WOW!!! More rain and snow is predicted for the coming week! My fingers are crossed that we get lots of precipitation! In the meantime, I'm continuing my constant hope for rain (or snow!). Please join me! Perhaps our collective efforts may help it happen. I'm going to keep posting rain inspired writings, art, etc. on my blog at dampearthart.blogspot.com. Any submissions would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime pray/wish/hope/dance for rain!

What mammals are around?

What birds are around?

What else is inhabiting the damp rocky slopes in our neighborhood,
besides the ferns, lichen, and moss?

Check back next week for the answers to these questions and more.

Unfortunately, you can no longer sign up to get my blog via email. Just go to northyubanaturalist.blogspot.com directly. It looks better than the emailed version!

Your questions and comments are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to email me at northyubanaturalist@gmail.com. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment