Thursday, December 23, 2021

Another Year!

Skeleton Weed seeds suspended in spider web threads

Five years ago, on December 23, 2016, I published the first post of my North Yuba Naturalist blog!  272 posts later, I still love sharing my natural history observations and photographs with "the world"!  This year, 7,494 people from 92 different countries visited my blog!  Wow!  A big "thank you" goes to those of you who have sent me your heartfelt comments!  I really appreciate your enthusiasm for my blog!

The smoke and threat of local wildfires curbed my ability to get out in nature this past year, and was also quite stressful. I feel my blogs during last summer and early fall weren't so great. Some were quite brief, some photos were used more than once, and a lot of material from previous blogs was re-used. I apologize for the lapse in focus!  

Despite the smoke, I still managed to see lots of incredible landscapes, birds, wildflowers, and mammals!  I hope you enjoy the photo-composites below of some of the amazing beauty that enchanted me this year!


Pyrocumulus cloud from the Dixie Fire 
Smoky North Yuba River Canyon - Smoky Sierra Buttes
Misty Sierra Buttes from Wild Plum Trail - Spring Blizzard off the Gold Lake Road
Springtime on the Salmon Creek headwaters - Wet meadow near Goose Lake
Helgrammite Lake - North Yuba River
Cottonwoods off of Hwy 49 - Indian Rhubarb on the North Yuba River
Fall pond off the Grassy Lake Trail

I am so grateful for my fabulous camera, a Nikon Coolpix P900.  It has made it possible for me to photograph beauty near and far, time and time again!


Snowy Egrets
Northern Pygmy-Owl - Great Horned Owl
Male Yellow-headed Blackbird - Male American Kestrel
Juvenile Northern Goshawk - Juvenile Sooty Grouse
Sage Thrasher - Male Yellow-breasted Chat
Female Williamson's Sapsucker - Male White-headed Woodpecker
American White Pelicans

I am so grateful for the Cornell Lab of Ornithology 
and their amazing website, birdsoftheworld.org.  The information is incredible as well as the photographs, and recordings of bird songs.


Meadow Penstemon
Showy Penstemon - Showy Phlox
Bitterroot - Naked Broomrape
Confusing Petrophila Moth - Sand/Star Lily
Porterella - Pink Woodland Star
True Baby Stars - Harvest Brodiaea
Mountain Pride

I am also so grateful for the www.calflora.org website. It is an incredible resource for identifying flowers/plants, with 1,000's of photos. The www.bugguide.net website has been my source for identifying the local insects. It too provides 1,000's of photos and an identification service!


American Black Bear female with cubs
Gray Fox - Columbian Black-tailed Deer, doe & fawn
Yellow-bellied Marmot - Lodgepole Chipmunk
Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel - Western Gray Squirrel
River Otter - Columbian Black-tailed Deer, buck
Chickaree/Douglas Tree Squirrel - American Black Bear
Pronghorns

I am so grateful for all the information available about our local mammals on the internet, most notably www.animaldiversity.org. It provides excellent information on the habits of our local wildlife.

Best wishes to all of you for 
the coming New Year!

Check back next week for the latest edition of
northyubanaturalist.blogspot.com!

Unfortunately, you can no longer sign up to get my blog via email. Just go to northyubanaturalist.blogspot.com directly. It looks better than the emailed version!

Your comments and questions are greatly appreciated!
Please email me at northyubanaturalist@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment