Saturday, August 21, 2021

A few smoke-free Adventures

Skeleton Weed seeds suspended in spider threads - Chondrilla juncea

This week we had HEAVY smoke almost every day from the surrounding fires. However there was one afternoon, one whole day, and one morning that were more or less smoke-free. I was able to wander in my neighborhood, swim in the river, and hike in the Lakes Basin again! On my morning wander I came across this incredible sight of Skeleton Weed seeds suspended in spider silk! It was SO magical!  The seeds looked like they were afloat but holding still in the air! How lucky I was to see such astonishing beauty!

Lesser Goldfinch (male) - Skeleton Weed - Sparrow (sp.?)
Carduelis psaltria - Chondrilla juncea - unidentified

Skeleton Weed is a non-native, invasive species from Eurasia, that you can typically find thriving along highways.  The name comes from the wiry, leafless appearance of the stems.  Although it isn't native, I often see local birds feasting on the seeds.  That morning I saw these Lesser Goldfinches eating the seeds, along with some young sparrows!

Scarlet Monkeyflower - Blazing Stars - Seep-spring Monkeyflower
Mimulus cardinalis - Mentzelia laevicaulis - Mimulus guttatus

There aren't many flowers in bloom down at our elevation of 2,500'. However a few hardy species are still in bloom in the wet areas, as well as on the dry slopes.  The Blazing Stars are one of my absolute favorites with their clusters of 2" long stamens, and satin-like petals!
..
Our Swimming Hole!

The afternoon that the smoke cleared off, I headed down to our swimming hole on the river.  It was fabulous!  The river rocks weren't slimy, no one else was there, the water was crystal clear and just the perfect refreshing temperature!  I swam, wandered, photographed, sang, breathed the clear air, and soaked in the beauty!

Mystery Mint and Mystery Moth (inset) - both unidentified

In my wanderings I came across a plant I didn't recognize growing among the hot river rocks.  It looked and smelled like some kind of mint.  There were lots of different kinds of insects feeding on it!  I spent a long time just watching and photographing the insects.  It was fascinating!  At the last minute I noticed the tiny moth in the photo above.  It was SO camouflaged!  I don't know what kind of moth it is, but I have requested an ID on bugguide.net.  I'll let you know what they say.  What a treasure it was to find this insect-rich plant!

Dotted Blue - Yellow-faced Bumble Bee - Skipper(?)
Euphilotes enoptes enoptes - Bombus vasnesenski - unidentified

unknown fly - Thread-waisted Sand Wasp - Mason Wasps(?)
unidentified - Ammophila sp. - Euodynerus foraminatus(?) 

Sierra Buttes 8-19-21

Tahoe National Forest Closure!

On Friday, August 20, the Tahoe National Forest officially closed to all driving, hiking, camping, and recreating, due to the extremely dry conditions.  The scheduled re-opening date is September 7, but that may change.  Even though it means we can't hike in the Lakes Basin during this time, I am GLAD that the Forest Service made this decision.  Fewer people means fewer chances of wildfires.

Wet seep with Grass of Parnassus

Luckily on Thursday, August 19, the day before the forest was closed, the smoke was temporarily gone, and we had a glorious hike on the Long Lake Loop!!!  It was wonderful to be back up in the Lakes Basin again!  Here's some of the beauty we saw!

Grass of Parnassus - California Fuschia - Ranger's Buttons
Parnassia palustris - Epilobium canum ssp. latifolium - Sphenosciadium capitellatum

This week there were more Grass of Parnassus flowers than I've ever seen before!  One area near a pond had hundreds of them!

unknown pollinators - Ants & Aphids - unknown bees

My friend Nancy had never seen ants "farming" aphids before!  The ants  protect the aphids from predators and drink the "honeydew" the aphids produce, in exchange!

Great Spangled Fritillary (female - male)
Speyeria cybele leto

I've seen lots of male Great Spangled Fritillary Butterflies, but this is only the third female I've ever seen!  These butterflies are unique in how much the male and female differ in appearance.  Most butterfly species don't have such striking sexual dimorphism.

North Yuba River - 8/16/21

Damp Earth Art

The wildfires are still burning, and more have started.  I am so grateful that there aren't any fires in our immediate area.  My heart goes out to those who have lost their homes in this unprecedented fire season. My unending thanks go to the fire fighters who continue to battle these dangerous fires every day.  

I so wish it would rain! We can't do anything about the drought, the wind, hot temperatures and fires. Worry makes it harder to bear. So anytime I think of it, I think rain, rain, rain. My intention is to focus on the need for rain, and through collective positive energy invoke rain to fall. It is just a wish, a thought, and a hope. I've created a blog, dampearthart.blogspot.com, where I post photographs, quotes, and artworks that feature rain.

If you'd like to submit some work to be posted on this blog, please email me at northyubanaturalist@gmail.com. I'll be posting new art weekly, check it out and pray for rain!


What's happening in the local ponds?

What's happening on the river?

Where are the bear and deer?

Check back next for the answers to these questions and more.

Unfortunately, you can no longer sign up to get my blog via email. Just go to northyubanaturalist.blogspot.com directly. It looks better than the emailed version!

Your questions and comments are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to email me at northyubanaturalist@gmail.com. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment