Saturday, February 6, 2021

Leave Wild Things Wild

Pine Siskins - Spinus pinus

Due to the recent deadly outbreak of Salmonella in finches, especially the local beautiful little Pine Siskins, I have quit feeding the birds in my neighborhood. Apparently there has been an incredible number of these birds across the U.S. this winter, due to a failure of cone crops in Canada. Providing feeders and/or scattering bird seed concentrates these birds and greatly increases their risk of getting disease, which is passed through droppings and saliva. I was so alarmed by the news of these birds dying. I have since raked up the seed in my feeding station, bagged it, and disposed of it. Although I thought I was helping birds by feeding them, I wasn't. I am personally never going to feed birds again. I am going to focus on growing plants in my garden that birds can feed on.  The following information about the current salmonella outbreak is from a local news station, yubanet.com.  I highly recommend that you follow their advice and quit feeding birds for now.  It's vital to leave wild things wild.

"Salmonella Outbreak in Finches 
Across Western States

Sick and dying birds found in the Lake Tahoe area
by the Tahoe Institute for Natural Science (TINS) February 3, 2021

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. February 3, 2021 – The Tahoe Institute for Natural Science (TINS) and Lake Tahoe Wildlife Care (LTWC) are asking the public to be on the lookout for sick or dead finches associated with bird feeders.

Finches across the western states are dying from an outbreak of salmonellosis, a common and often fatal bird disease caused by the salmonella bacteria. The problem appears to be especially bad along coastal Northern California, Oregon, and Washington, with reports of many sick and dying birds. Most affected by salmonellosis are Pine Siskins, but Lesser Goldfinch and other finch species can fall victim to salmonellosis as well. In recent weeks, dead siskins also have been found in backyards in the Carson Valley and Truckee.

The bacteria are spread through droppings, and where bird seed piles up beneath feeders, or in tray feeders where the birds can simply stand among the seeds, droppings can accumulate in the seed itself.

Members of the public can help to stop the spread of salmonellosis by discontinuing backyard bird feeding through February, to encourage these birds to disperse and forage naturally. If you continue to feed birds, please keep an eye out for signs of visibly sick or dying birds, and remove and thoroughly clean your feeders immediately, leaving them down for several weeks. Pine Siskins often can be tame, but sick siskins will be exceedingly so, and appear lethargic, puffed up, and often show sunken eyes.

Tube feeders and thistle socks may have reduced risk of transmission, but it is highly recommended that any feeders be cleaned regularly: any time the feeder is refilled, but at least once a week. Effective feeder cleaning involves soaking feeders in a 10% bleach solution, scrubbing, rinsing, and allowing them to dry. Many bird-lovers elect to maintain duplicate feeders, so that they can deploy a fresh feeder while the other is being cleaned.

Given the widespread and lethal impacts of this outbreak, tray feeders should not be used at this time.

Note that it is possible, although quite rare, for salmonella bacteria to transfer from birds to humans through direct contact with infected birds or droppings. When handling dead birds or bird feeders, remember to wash hands thoroughly afterward.

Please report any dead or visibly sick finches to either LTWC (530.577.2273) or TINS (775.298.0060)."


American Kestrel - Falco sparverius

Resilience!

On a better note, the "open slope" American Kestrel that I wrote about several weeks ago, is still alive and well!  I was concerned for its welfare during the heavy, snowy weather we had a week ago, but it made it through it just fine!   Read on to see how it also overcame another threat to it's existence just before the snowstorm hit! 

Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis

Two weeks ago, I was driving past the open slope when I noticed a large raptor on the top of a pine tree, which the American Kestrel was harassing!  I pulled over and saw that the raptor was a Red-tailed Hawk, which are known to eat American Kestrels!  Wow!  I hadn't seen one in the area for about a month!  

Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis

I watched these two raptors for a good 20 minutes and in that time, the Kestrel continued to watch and hassle the Red-tail until it flew off and perched in a distant cedar tree.  Later that afternoon, I drove by and was happy to see the little American Kestrel presiding over the open slope, with no Red-tail Hawk in sight!  Yahoo! 

American Kestrel - Falco sparverius

My friends say I get too attached to wild creatures.  I do, but from a distance!  Time and time again my concerns have been unfounded.  They are far more resilient than I thought!  Wild creatures are so adapted to living in the wild!  
It never ceases to amaze me!

More Damp Earth Art!

Since the local rainfall total at this point is way below our normal amount, around 22", I am once again sending out a "Call for Art" in celebration of rain. My intention is to focus on the need for rain, and through collective positive energy invoke rain to fall. It is just a wish, a thought, and a hope. If you would like to submit some art, or writing, or a photo please email me at northyubanaturalist@gmail.com. Check out what's already been submitted at dampearthart.blogspot.com

You can view what was submitted last year at dampearth.blogspot.com.
I will be posting new art weekly. Check it out and pray for rain!

Sierra Buttes - 3/16/19

What's happening in the Lakes Basin?

What's happening at the local ponds?

Check back next week for the answers to these questions and more!

Unfortunately you can no longer sign up to get my blog emailed to you.
Something changed at Blogspot.com. Oh well... However, my blog looks better if you just go to northyubanaturalist.blogspot.com, rather than get the emailed version. I suggest that you just bookmark my blog and visit it every Sunday afternoon!

Your questions and comments are greatly appreciated! Please feel free to email me at northyubanaturalist@gmail.com. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment