Sunday, May 31, 2020

Fledglings and Nestlings!


Northern Rough-winged Swallow fledgling 
Stelgidopteryx serripennis

On my way home a few weeks ago, I stopped by one of the ponds that I've been watching this year.  Right away, a fledgling Northern Rough-winged Swallow landed on a nearby branch and checked me out!  It was SO cute!  Another fledgling landed farther down the branch, and then an adult landed!  The adults arrived about six weeks before I saw this fledgling.  These Swallows usually nest in abandoned rodent, swallow, or Kingfisher burrows, in precipitous banks of sand or clay near water.  They will nest singly or in small colonies of approximately 2-25 pairs.  The female alone will build the nest and incubate the 2-6 eggs, for 12-16 days.  Both parents will feed the nestlings.  The nestlings fledge in approximately 20 days.  The fledglings fly as soon as they leave the nest, and rarely return to their nest site.  Both parents will feed the fledglings for several days.  They feed almost exclusively on flying insects.  They will begin their migration to their winter habitat in Central America in mid August.  What a treat it was to see these tiny little swallows so closely!

Belted Kingfisher (male) - Northern Rough-winged Swallow (adult) - Red-winged Blackbird (male)
Megaceryle alcyon - Stelgidopteryx serripennis - Agelaius phoenicus

The Belted Kingfisher greeted me with its raucous rattle as usual!  I even got a glimpse of it with a tiny fish in its mouth!  There were several adult Northern Rough-winged Swallows flying over the pond.  So there must be a small colony of them living here.  Red-winged Backbirds had arrived at the pond, and were loudly calling their "liquid notes" and flashing their bright-red shoulder feathers!

Wood Duck (female)  - Wood Duck (ducklings)
Aix sponsa

I hung around the pond for a while, and to my delight a female Wood Duck swam into view, followed by two ducklings!  WOW!!  These ducks are uncommon, and I had never seen their ducklings before!  I photographed a pair of Wood Ducks on this pond on April 13 this year.  In my April 18th blog, I hoped to see their ducklings in the future!  I hadn't seen the adult Wood Ducks at all since then, so I had assumed they had left.  Amazingly, my wish came true!!!  I watched them for about half and hour, and then I had to leave.  I'm going back soon to spend more time watching these beautiful, little wonders!

Mallard (female) and ducklings  
Anas platyrhynchos

On the same day, I also saw a female Mallard and 4 of her ducklings in the pond!  They moved so quickly and were so camouflaged among the pond weeds that it wasn't easy to see them.  The ducklings would spread out across the pond, and then would suddenly scurry back to their mom.  Perhaps she was giving them calls that I couldn't hear.  They are omnivores and eat a variety of seeds, fruits, and aquatic and terrestrial invertebrates. It was delightful to watch these highly camouflaged little ducklings busily feeding!
 
Mallard ducklings - Mallard (female) 
Anas platyrhynchos

I 'm going to go back to the pond in a few days , and see if the male ducks are still there 
I'll keep you posted!

Canada Geese - Branta canadensis

Ever since I had photographed the Canada Geese at their nest on May 8th, I've been on the lookout for their goslings.  On May 15th I lucked out and saw two pairs of adult Canada Geese, with two goslings each!  Wow!  I've seen them several times since then and the goslings are getting bigger fast!  They all traveled together in a group while the goslings were small.  Just this week I saw one family swimming in the river by themselves.  So perhaps the goslings are more able to fend for themselves.  The offspring will remain with their parents for their first year.  It just amazes me that they can survive in the wild!

Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor

Early Nesters!

I discovered a Tree Swallow nest in a local telephone pole on May 8th!  I'd seen the Swallows perching on the phone lines before then, but hadn't noticed the nest!  They do not make their own nesting cavities. They use old cavities excavated by woodpeckers.  The female makes a nest with mainly grasses, lines it with the feathers of other birds, and then lays 4-7 eggs.  In California, both the male and female have been known to share the incubation period of 11-20 days.  The nestlings fledge in 15-25 days. Fledglings may have poor feeding and flying skills, and receive post-fledgling feedings by parents for several days. However, fledglings are also seen flying and feeding independently of parents soon after they leave the nest.  Unfortunately, I was too busy to watch this nest closely and didn't see the nestlings or fledglings.  The adults are no longer visiting the nest cavity, so I'm hoping they and their offspring are all out feasting on bugs!
  
Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor

 I never knew that Tree Swallows would nest in a telephone pole!  
They are such a beautiful rich, deep, satin-blue color! Such beauty!

Hairy Woodpecker - Dryobates villosus

Still nesting!

I just found a Hairy Woodpecker nest in the same telephone pole as the Tree Swallows!  The male was excavating the hole just last week!  Perhaps their first clutch failed, so they're re-nesting at this late date! The female will lay 4-7 eggs, and both parents share the incubation period of 11-12 days.  The nestlings will fledge in 28-30 days.  Both parents feed the nestlings and fledglings.  Fledglings remain dependent on their parents for 2-4 weeks.

Hairy Woodpecker (female - male) - Dryobates villosus

Like the Downy Woodpeckers, the male is distinguished from the female 
by the red feathers on the back of its head.  I plan to keep my eye on this nest, and keep you updated!

Steller's Jay eggs 
(Yes! They're turquoise-blue with brown speckles!)

Nestlings!

A pair of Steller's Jays have nested on my neighbor's porch!  Just this week the eggs have hatched and there are four sleepy, tiny nestlings in the nest now!  From a distance, I watched the nestlings for a few minutes with my zoom lens.  They looked so wobbly and tired!  I didn't stay long, as I didn't want to disturb them or their parents.  They were beautiful!  I'll sneak back again in another week, and see how much they've grown.

Steller's Jay nestlings

If you find a nest of baby birds, it's best to keep your distance and limit your time observing them.  By repeatedly watching the same bird nest, you can alert predators to its location, and disrupt the nestlings and their parents. 

What's blooming?

What's happening in the Lakes Basin?

Where are the Bears?


Check back next week for the answers to these questions and more!

During these days of Covid-19 and civil unrest, 
I hope you are all healthy and doing well. 
Get out in nature while you have the time!
 It can be so healing!

Unfortunately you can no longer sign up to get my blog emailed to you. 
Something changed at Blogspot.com. Oh well...

Your questions and comments are greatly appreciated!
Please email me at northyubanaturalist@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment