Sunday, December 23, 2018

Another Year!


I started my blog two years ago on December 23, 2016! It has been an incredible experience! I have learned so much, and have so much still to learn! This year I followed the progression of things with a welcoming of the familiar. The return of Bullock's Orioles, the blossoming of Scarlet Fritillaries, and the awakening of tree frogs all felt so wondrously right! I was also continuously surprised by seeing many new things happen! The arrival of a Hooded Oriole, the short-term residence of a Yellow-billed Magpie, the surprise of a Black Bear swimming across the river, all were all such unexpected gifts! Delight, surprise, joy, and bliss have filled my days! I am so grateful for seeing and experiencing such incredible beauty, and look forward to this coming year of observation and adventure!

I also enjoy sharing my discoveries and photos with the world!  Thanks go to all of you for following my blog, and for sending me your encouraging comments! This year I had 5,934 hits on my blog, from 14 different countries!  The most frequently visited post was (surprisingly!) "Early Birds & Bugs", on Feb.10, 2018. 

Here are some of my favorite photos from this past year!  
It was another incredible year!  Enjoy!


My thanks go to Cornell University for the incredible internet resources they provide for the public.  Their websites are numerous, my favorites are www.allaboutbirds.org and www.birdsna.org.  I am also so grateful for the input of other naturalists/scientists on www.inaturalist.org, who have identified many bird species for me.



I am also so grateful for the www.calflora.org website.  It is an incredible resource for identifying flowers/plants, with 1,000's of photos.  The www.bugguide.net website has been my source for identifying the local bugs.  It too provides 1,000's of photos and an identification service!


Watching wildlife is amazing!  If you see them, they've already seen you!
There are many websites about mammals available on the internet, my favorite is www.animaldiversity.org.  It provides tons of scientific information on the habits of our local wildlife.


The landscape I live in is stunning! 
I never tire of watching the light change. Such beauty!

Best wishes to all of you for the coming New Year!  

Check back next week for the latest edition of 
northyubanaturalist.blogspot.com!

Your comments and questions are greatly appreciated!
Please email me at northyubanaturalist@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment