Saturday, December 23, 2017

A Year ago Today!

(The first photograph I posted on my blog!)

I started my blog a year ago today, December 23, 2016!  It's been a LOT of fun doing it!  I've learned so much this past year.  I've observed my neighborhood like I never have before, and have become deeply attached.  I've seen so many amazing local animals, insects, birds, and plants, many of them for the first time!  
I feel so privileged to live in their environment!  
I am full of bliss and gratitude!
  

During my research on natural history this past year, I have 
come across some amazing websites, most notably: 
www.allaboutbirds.org 
https://bugguide.net
www.animaldiversity.org 
www.calflora.org 
https://calphotos.berkeley.edu/ 
www.californiaherps.com. 
www.inaturalist.org 
www.flickr.com/groups/birdshare 

I've also found some incredible books: 
Secrets of the Oak Woodlands by Kate Marianchild 
The Laws Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada by John Muir Laws 
Birds of the Sierra by Edward C. Beedy & Edward R. Pandolfino 
The Hidden Lives of Owls by Leigh Calvez 
Wildflower Walking in the Lakes Basin by Toni Fauver 
The Hidden Lives of Trees by Peter Wohlleben 
All That the Rain Promises and More... by David Arora 
The Sibley field guide to Birds of Western North America 
by David Allen Sibley 

I've also enjoyed sharing my photos and info with the world! 
So far I've had 5,357 hits on my blog, from 11 different countries! Wow!! 
The most looked at post was "Fall Color on the North Yuba River!", on Nov. 4th. 
Thanks go to all of you for your interest in my blog! 

Below is a collection of my favorite photos from this past year. 
It was a beautiful year! Enjoy!

I saw over 50 species of birds this year, several of them were new to me!

I saw 14 species of mammals this year (including 4 dead ones)!  
I am enchanted with the foxes!

I saw 75 different species of insects, 3 species of spiders, 
and 25 species of reptiles and amphibians this year!

The beauties I've observed this year are countless!  
I'm looking forward to another year of blogging and studying my neighborhood!

Check back next week and learn about mistletoe, 
bluebirds, Citizen Science, and more!

Your comments & questions are greatly appreciated!

Please email me at northyubanaturalist@gmail.com, 
or
click on the comments just below, to post a comment!  
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment